Friday 18 August 2017

VICTIMS by Joel Hames @joel_hames

5 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK
On Amazon.com
On Goodreads


How I discovered this book: Amazon browse, but I leapt on it because I've loved other books by this author.  I downloaded it on Kindle Unlimited.

Victims is a novella to introduce Sam Williams, the lawyer star of The Art of Staying Dead, which I read eighteen months or so back, and thoroughly enjoyed.  In this story, Sam becomes involved with a woman he shouldn't, and a dangerous gang who are after one of his clients...

I loved this, I was absolutely glued to the pages.  It knocks the spots off many other you'll-never-guess-what's-going-to-happen-next type thrillers that I've read in the last couple of years, and Joel Hames's writing is first class.  So witty, and sharp, and intelligent, and realistic... and I liked that he totally gets the 'impromptu pub sesh' syndrome.  The atmosphere of young professionals in London is perfectly portrayed, and this book is just so well written.

It ends at 70%, after which there are the first couple of chapters of the novel mentioned above, and if you haven't read that, you're in for a treat.  Go on, fork out 99p or download it on Kindle Unlimited.  You'll be glad you did.

4 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this! Off to Amazon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, I wonder if I was thinking of you when I wrote it? Whaddya think, eh??!!

      Really liked your interview thing with young Judith, btw. Liked that you have no time for romance and fantasy, like me!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's great, Noelle, you'll love it - very 'English', though!

      Delete